Monday, April 19, 2010

Panics-ville!

A few nights ago, Dar (a late sleeper) came rushing from the bedroom very concerned that the vent fan in our adjoining bathroom was running amok!  It had awakened her... 
I found that, indeed, it was making a much louder than usual, intermittent noise that sounded for all the world that it had, indeed, gone berserk.
(I had been in the other end of the house.)  Dar was very "concerned". 
Nay, "distraught" would be a better word...

We couldn't find a way to shut it off! 
Turning the switch had no effect! 
The way it sounded, we both had visions of smoke soon emanating from the vent overhead! 
I ran outside in the dark to check for smoke. 
Nope... but I could really hear the noise from outside, too.

Next step:  Turn off the circuit breaker? 
This, too, didn't calm the silly beast...
Next, next step:  Dial 911 before or after we smell smoke? 
No...not yet...
Next, next, next step:  Remove the switch plate and cut the wires to the fan. 
Done.  Still no effect!
Grab a ladder...pull the vent cover...no clue, here... 
The blasted fan is sounding noisier and even raspier!
I just ran out of steps!It's finally Panics-ville!
I'm thinking telephone to get the fire department ready... We got a real serious electrical short going on here!

Whoa up, there, Nellie...  Don't dial quite yet...
Dar's electric toothbrush on the ledge of the shower over there sure seems to be moving around more than it should...even with the bathroom shaking by now...
Sure enough.  I pick it up and the noise quiets right down...but the thing's vibrating in my hand... 
She says:  "Oops...guess I forgot to plug it back in to it's base..."
(Grumble, grumble....mumble, mumble...I'll put the wiring to the fan switch back together come daylight...)

A few minutes later, we both sat down and had a real loud, still nervous laugh at ourselves...
T'weren't funny at the time, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment